Hot Child in the City - PopCultureWhoreNYC@gmail.com

Monday, October 09, 2006

Ramona!
By PopCultureWhore












I think we’re all aware that Maggie Gyllenhaal has popped out her first born, a daughter named Ramona. She didn’t have the child at Mt. Sinai Hospital near my apartment so there was no chance of Jake being in my neighborhood, so I don’t necessarily care all that much. (“Can I wear these pants downstairs to the pizza place?” my roommate asked, pointing to a pair of striped sweat pants she was sporting. “What if Jake came in?”)

But Maggie’s choice of name brought back memories of the Ramona Quimby books by Beverly Cleary and the TV series starring Sarah Polley as the impish child dealing with an annoying sibling and kicking it with the neighborhood kids. I vaguely remember an episode involving eggs, opening credits with Ramona on a bike, a likeable aunt and several scenes taking place in a cramped kitchen. I’d beg my mom to borrow these tapes from the local library and would watch them while eating spaghetti-o’s and fruit rollups from the comfort of a bean bag chair.












I didn’t immediately find any clips on YouTube, but if you happen to be technically gifted enough to get your old Ramona VHS tapes onto DVD and upload them to the Web site, I’ll give you a cookie.

Meanwhile, while I was searching for Ramona information, I came across pictures from “The Torkelsons” – that show from the early 90’s about the teenage girl Dorothy Jane who was embarrassed by her hick Oklahoma family. She later starred as Sally Field’s murdered daughter in “Eye for an Eye” and her little brother on the show played the lovable dork Minkus on “Boy Meets World.” Good stuff.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home